Welcome to whisperCast
whisperCast is a free, open source and extensible solution for media distribution.
- 2010/2/17 - We have a new release: version 0.2.4. Check the Download page to get it !
- Overview - read this first.
- Licensing - mostly BSD-style, read here the details.
- Download - get the goodies.
- Build and Install.
- Free, Open Source Stuff:
- whisperCast - the extensible audio / video streaming server:
- whisperer - the media encoder / acquisition server:
- whisperLib - the general purpose C++ library for building high performance client/server applications.
- For techincal related things: support[at]whispercast.org
- OS: Server runs on Unix / GNU-Linux.
- We are using Ubuntu (7.10, 8.04, 8.10) for development, and it is our distribution of choice. We have also built and tested it on OpenSuse. Other flavors of Unix should also work.
- Can be used with Adobe Flash clients (whisperPlayer, a Flash client also provided) for FLV content. Regular MP3/AAC players can be used for MP3/AAC content.
- Language: C++ (w/ gcc 3.1 or later, 4.2 or 4.3 preferred). cmake for building process.
- Protocols: HTTP / RTMP
- Media supported: FLV/F4V (Flash Video), AAC, MP3
- Performance: [for 500kbps streams, with no additional filtering]:
- Live content: about 2500 simultaneous clients per core of per core of Intel Xeon 2.0 GHz processor.
- Stored content: about 400 simultaneous clients (viewing different material) per normal SATA 7200 rpm disk.